The biggest birthday bash ever seen in Victoria Park is happening this weekend as the Vic Park Summer Street Party returns on Sunday 24 November from 1-9pm.
With up to 50,000 people expected to celebrate the Town’s 25th birthday, the Albany Highway café strip will be closed from Dane to Sussex Streets to allow the festivities to stretch along the road for this flagship event.
Local community groups, schools, businesses and residents have united to showcase the very best of Vic Park with an inclusive event featuring live entertainment, handmade craft and unique market stalls, free face painting, free kids’ activities, gourmet food, roaming performers, carnival rides, sustainability information and activities along with much more.
Mayor Karen Vernon said the Town of Victoria Park has a vibrant and diverse community and the Summer Street Party event continues to reflect this year after year.
“Whether it’s the huge range of delicious food and beverages, quirky gifts or family-friendly entertainment you’re after, it’s a great day for locals and visitors alike”.
Highlights of the 2019 Vic Park Summer Street Party include:
- The Rhubarb Records Main Stage featuring a jam-packed schedule of Perth’s best rising stars headlined by Grace Barbe and featuring other acts such as Flewnt, Butter, Dideon’s Bible and Surf Mist
- The Town on Vic Park Community Stage with local school performances, Bollywood Dance Showcase, Zap Circus, Chinese Community Centre Lion Dance, Tani Walker and Swing It! Dance all wrangled by the fabulous Ross Vegas
- Pop-up bars serving ice cold beverages from The Balmoral and DTC
- Pretend you are Thommo and get behind the Channel 9 News desk
- Survive the jungle and you could win movie passes to Jumanji: Next Level
- Go back in time to when it all began – 1994 – the date Vic Park became a town – and check out the silver anniversary time tunnel with 90’s music and the comedy Dumpster Disco Comedy Stage!
- Legendary presenter John Burgess will be broadcasting live from the event with Forever Classic 6iX
- For those who dare, camel rides will offer a unique view of the Party
- An Auslan Translator will accompany the official opening of the Vic Park Summer Street Party by Mayor Karen Vernon and Welcome to Country by Shaun Nannup
- Over 70 food and market stalls bringing you the best in retail therapy with delicious food and hand crafted treasures
- The Balmoral Hotel will proudly host an exhibition of specially curated local artworks
- Drag Queens Fanta-Sea and Ana Falacksis will kick up their heels with performances outside Christina’s Restaurant from 4.30pm
- Snap a selfie at the free photo booth, take a train ride through the Hawaiian Park Centre, or grab a giveaway from the 96FM Roadies
- Plenty of childrens’ activities including face painting, carnival rides and a petting zoo
- The launch of the 25 Ways campaign from the Healthy Relationships Strategy Group. They’ll be on site, offering 25 suggestions to create happier and healthier relationships.
From 7.30pm, just as the sun has gone down, the Party will come to life with a Lantern Parade comprised of local school students and musicians weaving their way through the Festival to a showcase of music from the past 25 years. Students will hold aloft lanterns they have created in workshops which will illuminate their pathway.
Parking will be available with a gold coin donation at John Macmillan Park, but Party goers are urged to use public transport, bikes – and their feet.
Event organisers UpBeat Events are urging festival-goers to recognise that the Vic Park Summer Street Party is a sustainable event, and to look out for recycling bins to help them achieve their target of zero waste to landfill.
The Vic Park Summer Street Party is presented by the Town of Victoria Park and supported by Lotterywest, Victoria Park Community Centre and Channel 9.