The second annual Cale Street Festival returns this weekend to Midland on Sunday 23 February.
Showcasing the Cale Street precinct, the area is set to come alive between 2-8pm as the local community celebrates all that Summer offers with family friendly activities, market stalls, live music and delicious food outlets.
The official program for the Cale Street Festival has been released and is now online at www.facebook.com/calestfestival
Focussing on a theme of wheel-ability, designed to showcase people power, accessibility and inclusivity, expect a variety of wheel themed features.
Highlights of the Cale Street Festival will include:
- live Summer music including funk from SabOzzy Samba Band, Ezereze, pirate band Rumskull and Junkadelic Brass Band featuring Tani Walker. Local musicians Espresso and Beth Margaret will also take to the stage;
- a community stage highlighting local performances from Midland Dance Studios;
- hop aboard the Swan Valley Express mini train;
- a variety of food experiences with alfresco offerings from local restaurants and cafes;
- a pop-up street bar with Swan Valley wines;
- family fun including ferris wheel and teacup carnival rides, a special Adventure Golf Club mini putt putt, petting zoo, bouncy castle, gym bus and plenty more for the kids;
- learn to bellydance with an interactive workshop;
- plenty of retail therapy with local business specials and market stalls;
- create your own work of art and participate in the wheel-ability arts project;
- get your wheels rolling with a vintage billy cart display and a race track featuring monster push trucks, tricycles and pedal cars;
- learn about the history of Midland’s historic buildings and increase your civic pride with Midland Society.
Midland Junction Arts Centre will also be open on the day with exhibitions “Sheiden’s” and “Show Your Working”. They will also conduct screen printing and ceramics workshops throughout the afternoon.
Kids are encouraged to enter the Great Cale Street Festival Decorated Bicycle Parade. Adorn your bike with found objects and join the parade. Prizes will be provided by Midland Cycles.
The City of Swan has supported the Festival by providing $15,000 in sponsorship and remain committed to supporting community initiatives including events, activities and projects.
City of Swan Mayor Kevin Bailey said the City is delighted to support the return of the successful Cale Street Festival.
“This festival is a celebration of community spirit, the amazing people that live here and what Midland has to offer.”
Event organisers UpBeat Events are urging festival-goers to recognise that the Cale Street Festival is a sustainable event, and to look out for recycling bins to help them achieve their target of zero waste to landfill.
The full program for the Cale Street Festival can be downloaded from here.
The Cale Street Festival is presented by Midland Gate and brought to you by Midland Junction Collective with the support of the City of Swan and Channel 9.
Festival goers are encouraged to wheel, skate, push or walk to the event, or use public transport.